Donations gratefully accepted!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Door knocking in the sun...

Having worked on many campaigns in the past, I know the importance of getting out into the community and meeting the constituents.  So, on a sunny day this week, I ventured out with another candidate who is running in the other election (council/mayor)!  I must admit that door-knocking is not my favourite thing to do.  I don't like being met with negativism or people who tell me that voting is for other people and not them.  It can make a person very cynical.  But on this glorious sunny day in  Delta, we were met with big smiles, handshakes, "so happy to meet you" and genuine appreciation.  It was wonderful!

The questions were varied and extremely good!  For both of us.  The one common denominator seemed to be the issue of long-time "residents" on both council and the school board.  Many people feel that more than two terms is starting to get into "too long" and beyond three terms (9 years) is just plain excessive.  The sense was that it isn't an issue of a job being done poorly (in most cases), but that the people tend to become complacent.  That the ideas have been a "been there/done that" attitude.  I found this outlook very interesting, to say the least.

I have said, from the initial announcement of my candidacy that I feel that there have to be changes made, new ideas and new energy at the table.  And I speak more from experience than anything else.  I was President of Theatre BC, one of the most successful arts non-profit societies in the province.  I served as a Vice President for one term and then was elected President.  After six years, I knew that I had to move on and not stand for office again, even though I was encouraged by other members to stay in the position for another term.  The reason I felt that I had to leave was that I knew everything that was going around the table as it had for six years in one way or another.  It wasn't fresh for me and because I knew that many around the table were hearing it for the first time, I had to sit back and let them experience the same learning curve I did and listen to their ideas.  Oftentimes they were the same ideas we had over the past three terms, but then again, oftentimes they were fresh and innovative and exciting.  But, there were times when I knew that they wouldn't work, but at no time did I say that we've done that before so forget it.  I do have to say, though, that the thought definitely entered my mind.  So, was that also influencing how I was thinking and making decisions?  I felt it was.  Therefore, I walked away knowing that during my tenure I did the best I could for the organization and now it deserved a new director.

When I became President the organization was in dire shape financially as it sat in the red and grants were being withheld and possibly taken away from us.  I was very fortunate to have a Treasurer that I trusted and she trusted me and between the two of us, with the assistance of other board members, we tightened the belt so much that we were disliked by members for a while! We met with the powers-that-be from the province and succeeded in retrieving the grants.  Fortunately, after a year, we were in the black again and thriving in new directions.  After the six years the organization was one of the healthiest theatre non-profits in the country.   That came from very hard work, taking risks, being diligent and working together, synergistically to get the job done. 

I am a team-player.  I am not running for School Trustee to seek status in my community.  I doubt that my circle of friends and my family will be impressed that I'm a "politician".  They would probably think I am nuts!  I am not running because "I'm-mad-as-hell-and-not-going-to-take-it-any-more" because those people are running out of frustration about how the system works, they have rigid ideas for change and, damned the torpedoes, there will be some changes!  These individuals tend to burn out when they realize that not everything can change overnight and often leave politics more frustrated and disillusioned than when they started.  I am running because I have a range of experience to add to the collective expertise of the board and am willing to work with the team to achieve change and have a vision for how the government (school board) can work better for the benefit of my community. That I can work with a team of people who have one common interest and goal...our children and the best education we can afford them as we face difficult times with the demands of growing budgets, insufficient funding and declining enrolment in our schools as well as making sure our children's teachers are equipped with the proper tools to be the best they can be...Delta School Board needs a fresh new start.  We need people who will come to the table with new ideas and energy to ensure our children get the best education that we can offer to safeguard their journey through this most important time of their lives.  I am one of those people.  I will be THEIR  advocate and YOUR voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment