Only 30% of eligible youth (18 and older) voted in the last municipal elections. Let's double that this time!!! Or triple it! YOU CAN DO IT!!
All you need is two pieces of ID to register at the polls. Make sure one of them has your home address on it.
Voting Day is November 19th from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. You can go to any poll and register, but I'm sure your parents will have a voting card delivered to the house stating which poll is yours. If you voted in the last election and haven't moved, you will be on the list!
You can vote earlier if you'd like...I know I am!
The first advance poll is Saturday, November 5th, 8am to 8pm. Ladner-Municipal Hall; Tsawwassen-Long House Gallery; North Delta -N.D. Recreation Centre AND Seaquam Secondary School.
There are two more on November 9 & 10 same times...same places.
I've spent a lot of my life working with and teaching and directing many of you over eighteen'ers. I've known many of you since you were in elementary school. I hope all of you are not in this 30% bracket!!! Get on the phone...FaceBook...Twitter...tell your friends to get out the vote, if not at the Advance polls then on November 19th. Everywhere in B.C., people will be going to the polls to exercise their right to vote. So should you!
If you're not sure who to vote for...do some research. All local newspapers have small bio's and contact information. Ask questions. If you don't want to vote for the full number of candidates, you don't have to. Voting "less" won't spoil your ballot. Voting "more" will spoil your ballot.
They are making it easy for you to get out there and vote by holding 3 advance polls as well as General Election Day.
No excuses!! VOTE! Make me proud!!!
Well said, Carroll. The most important aspect of this election is that we see an increase (significant) in voter turnout. Too many of our young people are tuning out and we need to direct them back to their fundamental right and obligation to participate in choosing their representatives. Perhaps by presenting an alternative approach to how politics is done and how our community is led, we can turn them on to the opportunity to get involved.
ReplyDelete