I managed to get to the first all-candidates' meeting tonight. It was just for the Mayoralty candidates, held at Genesis Theatre. I was an hour late because of a prior committment and when I pulled onto 45th Avenue I was astounded at the lack of parking available! Even the high school parking lot was jammed packed. This was a very good thing. It was also a sign of people wanting to hear what the four candidates had to say. I could definitely smell the aroma of "change" in the night air.
I managed to find a seat in the almost packed to capacity theatre and settled in to hear the candidates answer a varied selection of questions. Some were from the panel, South Delta Leader editor Philip Raphael and a student from Delta Secondary School...Claire. Others were from the floor. Some of the questions were strange, but I felt that the majority of them were answered by everyone pretty equally. No one really shone over the others. I was disappointed to witness some mud slinging. I don't think that is necessary. It only makes the slinger look the fool in the long run. Some people will "cheer", but the majority, from where I sat, just shook their heads ever so slightly.
The question that stood out the most for me was a question asked if they would agree to a 2 term limit in office. Several chuckles went through the house as eyes immediately turned to Mayor Jackson! Every candidate agreed with a limit on how long one would serve on Council except one. I don't think I have to tell you who that was! The chuckles turned to loud laughter! But, having said that, I have to agree with a cap put on how long one serves on Council, in Parliament (Ottawa and Victoria) and on School Boards. Roots should not set in!
It's not that the "old timers" are incompetant, but it does breed complacency. History comes with longevity and when things get embroiled in the history, moving forward is virtually impossible. There has to be a new set of eyes and ears on any board to make it efficient and a smooth running machine. That brings me to our present school board of trustees. Let's take a look at the incumbents. Our chair, Dale Saip has been a trustee since 1987. I think he was gone for one term, but don't quote me! Regardless, over 20 years on one board isn't a good thing. For anyone. It brings with it a "been there done that" attitude that permeates into the newer trustees. Another one, Fabian Milat (who is trying to snag two seats this time round...one on council and one on the school board), has been a trustee since 2002. Janet Shauntz was first elected in 1990 but I believe she also took a term off (3 years). Simon Truelove was first elected in 2005 and the other two, Laura Dixon and Brenda Bennett-Schneider were both acclaimed in 2008. So, let's do the math. Mr. Saip is looking at 20+ years, Ms. Shauntz is looking at approximately 20 years, Mr. Milat is looking at 9 years and Mr. Truelove is looking at 6 years. While Ms. Dixon and Ms. Bennett-Schneider are both finishing up their first term of 3 years.
I am hearing, all the time, on the doorsteps of our community, that people think there are some on the board that have been there far too long. Given the numbers above, I tend to agree with them. I can give the one-term trustees another term with no problem as far as time served is concerned. But I have a lot of trouble bending to the other four. Given some of the decisions this board has made is another issue. But, I have to wonder if the influence of the longer sitting trustees ever factored into decision making. I've sat on enough boards as a Director, President and Chair and can attest to the fact that the "newbies" look to the experienced crew for guidance and advice. Quite often in the early stages of the tenure, it's the seasoned members making the decisions and there isn't enough debate or opposition due to the lack of experience on the board. I don't think that is a healthy board.
Of course...this is speculation. I wasn't there. But I do know that too many of them have been there for too long! The Mayor and Council aren't the only ones in need of change. I'm wondering if next week, on November 7th, as I approach The Genesis Theatre again, only this time for the first of two all-candidates' meetings for School Trustees, I'll smell the same aroma as I did tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment